Assabet Valley Collaborative has an opening for a Special Education Teacher in our Evolution Transition Program (Evolution Cluster 3).
Before you read on, please read the Commitments to Educational Equity that AVC strives to adopt across our organization. We seek to add employees to our team who can help us make these commitments a reality and influence how we lead, learn, innovate, design, collaborate, and serve our students, families, partners, and communities. We are in the process of developing a shared leadership model to engage stakeholders across the organization in learning, leading, designing, and decision-making.
Still interested? See below:
Who We Are:
Assabet Valley Collaborative (AVC) is an educational service agency in Metrowest/Central Massachusetts. Our services include school programs, wraparound services, transportation services, professional development, cooperative purchasing and consulting. AVC's Evolution is a transition program for young adults aged 18-22 who have a diverse range of severe cognitive and physical needs. This position is within a classroom for 4-7 students served by a teacher, two paraeducators, a nurse, and rotating related services providers (i.e OT, SLP, PT, Music, Vision, etc).
- This position includes providing instruction to a group of Evolution students who use communication devices, wheelchairs/mobility assistance, positioning and specialized equipment in order to access their education.
- Instructional focus is on functional life skills which are embedded and generalized through activities such as community based instruction, music therapy, art, recreation and leisure, as well as social, daily living, and vocational skills.
- Taps into student skills and independence in order to further develop motor skills, communication, self-help, and social skills.
- Develops a comprehensive and accessible schedule that maximizes instructional time through individual, small group, and whole group activities.
- Designs and adapts curriculum with team to meet students’ needs.
- Collaborates to develop, present, and implement team drafted IEPs.
- Partnering with team to implement interventions recommended by related-service providers.
- Conduct necessary assessments for 3-year re-evaluations and compiles the assessment results of the related service providers.
- Works with team members to establish and implement data systems that inform instruction and progress reports.
- Communicates and collaborates with families, sending districts, adult service agencies, and in-home service providers.
- Participate in required trainings.
- Provides training, instruction, and supervision of paraeducators.
- We’re looking for a Teacher who serves as a leader and as a learner; a team member who is flexible, resourceful, and thrives in a fast-paced, non-traditional, collaborative environment and who understands educational and human service institutions.
- This person demonstrates a learning mindset and ability to receive feedback, self-reflect, and pivot as well as an ability to effectively facilitate the learning of others by pushing their thinking, building their skills, and sparking their self-reflection and curiosity.
The ideal candidate would possess or demonstrate the following:
- Ability to engage with conflict and core tensions.
- Bilingual or multilingual is a plus.
- Ability to thrive within a team while also being able to work independently.
- Encourages and fosters passion and enthusiasm for the work of the classroom.
- Adhere to established federal, state, and local laws and regulations (FERPA, HIPPA, and IDEA).
- Experience working in schools, nonprofits, human service organizations.
- Bachelor’s Required; Masters Degree Preferred.
- Licensed or working toward licensure from MA DESE in Moderate or Severe (preferred) Disabilities.
- 185 day schedule.
- Operating hours of the program, 8:15am-3:15pm.
- Summer hours are also available, but not required.
- This is an active position.
- It requires frequent physical movement to meet the needs of our young adult students: lifting, shifting, and all aspects of personal care.
Competitive Benefits include:
- Compensation competitive within public school employees sector.
- School-year position; additional compensation available for summer school service.
- 3 personal days, 10 sick days.
- 75% health insurance premiums covered by AVC.
- Participation in MA state pension systems (MTRS or MSERS).
- Voluntary benefits: Flex Spending, Life, Short-term, Long-term Insurance; Dental.
For more information and to apply http://www.avcollaborative.org/employment