Special Education Teacher - Secondary (Grades 5-12+ post grad).
NOTE: Before you read on, please read the Commitments to Educational Equity that AVC strives to adopt across our organization. We seek to add employees to our team who can help us make these commitments a reality and influence how we lead, learn, innovate, design, collaborate, and serve our students, families, partners, and communities. We are in the process of developing a shared leadership model to engage stakeholders across the organization in learning, leading, designing, and decision-making. Still interested? See below:
Who We Are:
Assabet Valley Collaborative (AVC) is an educational service agency in Metrowest/Central Massachusetts. Our services include K-12 and post-graduate school programs, wraparound services, transportation services, professional development, cooperative purchasing and consulting.
We are looking for a teacher who serves as a leader and as a learner; a team member who is flexible, resourceful, thrives in a fast-paced, non-traditional, collaborative environment, and who understands educational and human service institutions. This person demonstrates a learning mindset and ability to receive feedback, self-reflect, and adapt, as well as an ability to effectively facilitate the learning of others by pushing their thinking, building their skills, and sparking their self-reflection and curiosity.
The ideal candidate would possess or demonstrate the following:
- Ability to engage with conflict and core tensions.
- Bilingual or multilingual is a plus.
- Ability to thrive within a team while also being able to work independently.
- Encourages and fosters passion and enthusiasm for teaching and learning.
- Adhere to established federal, state, and local laws and regulations (FERPA, HIPAA, and IDEA).
- Experience working in schools, nonprofits, and human service organizations.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Massachusetts DESE licensure in Moderate Special Needs, 5th - 12th.
- Candidates with dual licensure in Moderate Special Needs and core content areas are highly desired.
- Valid driver's license, safe driving record and ability to transport students in AVC vehicles.
Job-Specific Details. AVC is seeking to hire a teacher who:
- Believe students are successful when they are given positive reinforcement and behavioral support.
- Prioritizes and instructional focus with a blend of the following:
- Social-emotional learning, culturally relevant teaching, Universal Design for Learning, and the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks (OSA).
- Functional social and life skills, Vocational and higher education training and support, Community based learning opportunities (Evolution).
- Empowers and fosters the skills for students to become problem solvers and independent decision-makers.
- Is skilled at co-designing and adapting a comprehensive curriculum to best meet the daily and personalized learning needs of students through individual, small and whole-group activities.
- Balances high academic and behavioral expectations with necessary accommodations and modifications.
- Co-designs and collaborates with families/guardians, sending districts and providers.
- Partners with students and all those invested in their success to develop, present, and implement team-drafted IEPs.
- Partners with paraeducators towards effective curriculum development and implementation of IEP accommodations.
- Works with team members to establish and implement student-centered assessments and sustainable data systems that will inform instruction and generate progress reports.
- Complete necessary documentation.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible and adapt to the evolving needs of students and the school environment.
- Participate and engage in professional development and community events.
- Comply with collaborative-wide policies and procedures.
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- This is an active position that requires frequent physical movement to meet the needs of our students.
- Staff will receive training to physically intervene as needed per AVC Physical Restraint protocol, policy, and applicable regulations.
- 185 day schedule.
- 7-hour days between 8 and 3:15.
- Summer hours are also available, but not required.
Assabet Valley Collaborative (AVC) is an educational service agency in Metrowest/Central Massachusetts. Our services include school programs, wraparound services, transportation services, professional development, cooperative purchasing and consulting. We are in the process of developing a shared leadership model to engage stakeholders across the organization in learning, leading, designing, and decision-making. To achieve shared leadership, we need to engage in continuous study of the principles of cultural proficiency, culturally responsive practices, human-centered design, design thinking, and social innovation.