Assabet Valley Collaborative is seeking to hire a full time Nurse for Orchard Street Academy for the 2023-2024 school year.
* We are also hiring for the 2023 summer program 7/3/23-8/4/23. Candidates that are interested in the full time position and summer program are welcome!
Before you read on, please read our Commitments to Educational Equity
. It is important for applicants to understand that these commitments influence how we lead, learn, innovate, design, collaborate, create, and serve our students, families, partners, and communities.
Who We Are:
Assabet Valley Collaborative
(AVC) is an educational service agency in Metrowest/Central Massachusetts. Our services include school programs, wraparound services, transportation services, professional development, cooperative purchasing and consulting.
AVC's Orchard Street Academy (OSA)
is a small public therapeutic school serving grades 5th- 12th. We serve students with disabilities who have a range of nursing/health needs.
The Nurse is an essential member of the AVC team by supporting the health and wellness of our students through a range of nursing and case management services. As a Nurse at AVC, there are unique opportunities to build meaningful relationships with students, families, and staff and to explore and leverage your passions in service to our community.
- Coordinates and implements medical procedures as appropriate in daily and emergency situations;
- Admission and discharge paperwork for new and departing students;
- Hearing and vision screenings;
- Administers medications and treatments;
- Contributes to the overall workings of the school;
- Supports and/or guides during moments of clinical/medical crisis.
Documentation and Compliance:
- Collects and maintains annual Parent/Guardian consent forms and required health records (immunizations, physicals, etc.);
- Maintains School Health Records, nursing notes, and medication administration records
- Implements medication and procedure orders;
- Develops and implements treatments/procedures as laid out in student's health care plans;
- Storage and security of medication;
- Adheres to established federal, state and local laws and regulations;
- Maintains confidentiality of student information in accordance with FERPA and HIPAA.
Collaboration and Capacity-Building:
- Communicates and collaborates with colleagues regarding interventions and pertinent medical information as needed;
- Collaborates within and adapts to school schedule;
- Trains staff in the implementation of universal precautions, infection control, emergency planning, EPI Pens, and COVID protocols;
- Communicates and consults with AVC nursing colleagues;
- Communicates with families, physicians, and therapists as needed;
- Collaborates with colleagues on acquiring and storing nursing/medical supplies;
- Attends monthly department meetings and scheduled staff development.
- The OSA nurse joins a COVID-response team of colleagues who continue to evolve COVID protocols as guidance evolves from DESE, DPH, and CDC.
- AVC has participated in weekly PCR pooled testing and at-home rapid testing programs - the OSA Nurse will play a lead role in administering these programs if they continue.
- As needed, the nurse will play a role in managing the inventory of PPE.
- The nurse networks and collaborates with DPH and local boards of health to maintain compliance with current and evolving CDC guidelines.
- We’re looking for a Nurse who serves as a leader and as a learner; a team member who is flexible, resourceful, and thrives in a fast-paced, non-traditional, collaborative environment, while also being willing to learn more about and succeed in educational and human service institutions.
- This person demonstrates a learning mindset and ability to receive feedback, self-reflect, and pivot.
- The Nurse will also have the ability to effectively facilitate the learning of others by advancing their thinking, building their skills, and sparking their self-reflection and curiosity.
Ideal candidates have:
- Successful completion of an accredited nursing program and Massachusetts licensure as a nurse (RN).
- Exposure to pediatrics, psychology, school, or special education settings
- Bilingual or multilingual is a plus
About Assabet Valley Collaborative
Assabet Valley Collaborative (AVC) is an educational service agency in Metrowest/Central Massachusetts. Our services include school programs, wraparound services, transportation services, professional development, cooperative purchasing and consulting. We are in the process of developing a shared leadership model to engage stakeholders across the organization in learning, leading, designing, and decision-making. To achieve shared leadership, we need to engage in continuous study of the principles of cultural proficiency, culturally responsive practices, human-centered design, design thinking, and social innovation.